Our village school has a long history extending over one hundred and sixty years. It was built about 1850 as a National School using the Kent ragstone which was quarried in the village. The original school comprised the present Class 6, headmaster’s house and an unpaved yard at the back. Later an infants room with a gallery (on the south side) and another senior room (now the computer suite) were added. At one time there was a school roll of over 250 (ages 3-13) using the hall and two classrooms. As late as 1955 there were four coal fires still in use and all toilets (until 1961) were outside at the far end of the playground. Over the years there have been updates and additions to the school including a separate building for the infant department and the construction of an indoor swimming pool. In 2007 a large extension including the new Clarke Hall was opened by Geraint Jones MBE and parts of the existing building was remodelled.
The school log books, dating back to 1863, testify that many of the present village names go back to the beginning of the school history. Names such as Saxby, Lamb, Brooker, Davis, Bowles, Cradduck, Tree, Burton, Cole, Potter, Genn and Nash occur time and time again.
Much of the school’s history is archived in an upstairs room here at the school, where a large collection of photographs and artefacts are housed, giving a wonderful insight into the way education has changed over the last one hundred and sixty years. With your help we would encourage children to become interested in the history of the school and the village.
The school logo, the white stag, is taken from a legend in Boughton Place.